Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/natiels/thancode.org/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/natiels/thancode.org/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
Balance Weapon
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 12:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News Box
SMF - Just Installed!

Key Stats
1711 Posts in 827 Topics by 4172 Members
Latest Member: Lyle
Home Help Search Login Register
Fox MUD  |  Fox MUD  |  Suggestions (Moderators: Victoria, Sygis)  |  Balance Weapon « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Balance Weapon  (Read 5463 times)
Krush
Fox Immortal Staff
Lord

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »

New warrior skill would let you give the effect of sharpening to any weapon not just those with blades or points. Seems a bit unbalanced that those weapons can't get this effect to me. Would of course require different components, perhaps a file,  rasp or hammer and might require you to be at a forge/anvil or blacksmith though that would make it difficult to do in the field unless you have a portable forge and anvil.

Any other ideas on this?

Krush
Fox Immortal Staff
Lord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »

Alternately or in addition to this you might also have mage/cleric spells or other thief/warrior skills that do the same thing as but don't stack with sharpen. Flaming weapon (mage), holy weapon (cleric), shadow weapon (thief), rage weapon (warrior).  These spells/skills could also have required components if that was thought necessary.  They might even change the type of damage the weapon does while in effect but that would have to be considered carefully I think with regard to immune mobs.
Than
Administrator
Lord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:49:34 AM »

New warrior skill would let you give the effect of sharpening to any weapon not just those with blades or points. Seems a bit unbalanced that those weapons can't get this effect to me. Would of course require different components, perhaps a file,  rasp or hammer and might require you to be at a forge/anvil or blacksmith though that would make it difficult to do in the field unless you have a portable forge and anvil.
I really like this idea and I think it is something we need.  Does not make sense that you can't get a bonus on a blunt weapon vs a sharp one.  I think it should perhaps require a counter weight (equivalent of blade oil) and any one of the above mentioned tools (equivalent of whetstone).

Another idea with this might be to have it lean more on hitroll then damage and offer 2 hitroll and 3 damroll as the max bonus.  I am also completely fine with giving it the same bonus as sharpen. 

To me it just seems odd to penalize players for not using sharp weapons by not having an alternative to the sharpen skill.
Victoria
Lord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »

I guess my only question is whether blunt type weapons were originally made with not being able to sharpen them in mind--i.e., did the obj designer factor that into any consideration of how good the weapon is. There are a few weapons that will get significantly better if we do this (staff of dark dreams, mace of smiting, harbinger, etc).

Part of me thinks that's actually a good thing though.

-Victoria
Than
Administrator
Lord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »

I don't think blunt weapons are better in any way  (would need to confirm).  Aside from that, Since everyone with a level 30 is entitled to a restring players can just restring their item to make it sharp and circumvent this restriction. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: